Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

Tips on How To Stay Healthy

I know this isn't on the same topic as my usual beauty/makeup posts but I thought I would share some tips on how to stay healthy! If you follow me on twitter, you probably know that I have joined Weight Watchers almost 2 months ago. I am so happy with my decision and have been thinking of whether I should start a blog or channel focusing on my journey, tips, etc. (Let me know which you prefer please!) I tweeted about a week ago and asked what were your favorite health tips were. I have learned some on my WW journey too so I wanted to compile a list of the responses and my tips. Of course since I have so much to share, I may or may not (ok, I will) add in a bit to the responses I received!


1. recommended to "drink lots of water". Sometimes when you are thirsty this feels like hunger. I try to stay hydrated throughout the day and if I am hungry to drink a bottle of water and then see if I was truly hunger or just thirsty.

2. She also recommended "eating a lot of fiber". I definitely agree with this (as does Weight Watchers!). Fiber rich foods help satisfy you longer so you are not hungry an hour later.

3. is a fellow Weight Watchers member. She recommended "watch your portions, eat 5 small meals a day, drink lots of water, excerise, and don't deprive yourself." These are definitely things that Weight Watchers teaches and I agree with them. Not only are these things that help you be successful during weight loss, but these are lifestyle benefits too!

Warnings:

Weight loss and staying healthy isn't all about encouragement of good, healthy foods, but it is also important to watch out for things that are not as healthy as they may seem.

1. says, "don't restrict yourself completely! Reward yourself every so often. You'll burn out quick by depriving yourself too much." I completely agree! I think this is why a lot of "diets" fail. Once you tell yourself that you can't have something, that's all you may want! It is important to leave room for indulgences. As a health psychology teacher of mine said, "If I ignore my chocolate craving, a week later I'll eat the whole cake". It's perfectly ok to treat yourself to a small piece once in a while. Just don't treat yourself too much! ;)
 
2. Meadow also claims, "Don't be fooled by "organic" or "natural" labels; do your research! Those labels can be tricksy! ;)" Food labels and claims are not regulated by the government! The companies have to put nutritional info but if they decide to slap on an "organic" label, they can do so even though it's not! I recommend always glancing at the ingredient list and nutritional value.

3. susyxxxx warns, "definitely do NOT skip meals.... 5 small meals a day is ideal - then your body won't go into 'starvation mode' ". This is so important to keep in mind. Our bodies are designed to get nutrients from food, once they see there aren't nutrients coming in, they try to save all they can and not let them go. It may seem like a good idea to skip a meal and then you don't have the calories but in the end, you may end up being hungry and then overeat. The 5 small meals is a great idea! I personally have 3 regular meals and 2 snacks (usually fruit) but the 5 small meals keeps you from getting hungry often.

6 comments:

Anonymous Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Ha I'm just back from my Weight Watchers weigh in. Only lost one pound this week, hard not to be disheartened :( Thanks for the tips!

Cutiegingerbread Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@the makeup fairy a pound is still a pound so congrats! hope you don't get disheartened, we all have those weeks. the important thing is to learn from what u did and do better =]

NYC Life and Glam Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

@the make-up fairy - I lost 20lbs VERY VERY slowly!! I started with my mom inlaw and sis inlaw. They were shedding the pounds quickly mean while I would barely loose a pound certain weeks. Do not get discouraged! Every body is different, everyday is different. Keeping going and good luck!

@Cutiegingerbread - ThankS for the tips! I love Weight Watchers!

xoxo2319 Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

great tips! i'd love to see more healthy lifestyle/diet posts

Blusherine Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

It's a pain to stay in shape :o) but it's so necessary! I like your post and how you collected all the tips!

GirlieAndGlamorous ♥ Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

I know how hard it is, I'm trying to tone up for my wedding.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...